The Frogs Have More Fun...

Flowers



"All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, Fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames.
- These must all be Fairy names !"

(from Child's Garden of Verses
by R.L. Stevenson)


"Anyone can write a short-story.
A bad one, I mean."

(R.L. Stevenson)
----------------

"Science without conscience is the Soul's perdition."
- Francois Rabelais, Pantagruel
- Acc to/above is citated from: Medical Apartheid. The dark history of Medical Experimentation on Black Americans from Colonial Times to the Present, by Harriet A. Washington (Doubleday ; 2006 ; p. 1.)

----------------
"In the high society of the first half of the century, marriage, despite it's bestowal status upon the wife, was the most absurdity. Marriage, conferring instanteous rank or money, ... lost most of its prestige and moment right after the wedding. ...By the end of the century, spurred by Rousseau's moralistic Nouvelle Hèloíse, a contrary cult, that of virtue, arose. After 1770 conjugal and maternal love became not merely admissible, but, for some, moral imperatives. ...

[...]
...Rousseau, who sought for himself the crown of morality in ostensibly defending marriage, presents in his Nouvelle Hèloíse the most enticing and extended defense of illicit love ever penned. The root of the problem is that as the century progressed sensibility became confused with morality: passionate feeling, if expressed in a highly civilized mode with grace and nuance, makes us forgive the Rousseau of The Confessions, for example, his pettiness, his jealousies, his betrayals. This moral-amoral byplay, present already in the novels of Richardson, was to be more intense as the century unfolded."
-
Madelyn Gutwirth : Madame De Staèl, Novelist. The emergence of the Artist as Woman (10,15.)

;
"...As the social contract seems tame in comparison with war, so fucking and sucking come to seem merely nice, and therefore unexciting. ... To be 'nice', as to be civilized, means being alienated from this savage experience - which is entirely staged. [...] The rituals of domination and enslavement being more and more practiced, the art that is more and more devoted to rendering their themes, are perhaps only a logical extension of an affluent society's tendency to turn every part of people's lives into a taste, a choice; to invite them to regard their very lives as a (life) style." - Susan Sontag , on 'Fascinating Fascism' (-74; p 103;104-5 at Under the sign of Saturn)
; "Anyone who cannot give an account to oneself of the past three thousand years remains in darkness, without experience, living from day to day." (Goethe) - as cited by Sontag (on same compile; p. 137.)

;
"It is widely accepted that we are now living in the 'Anthropocene', a new geological epoch in which the Earth's ecosystems and climate are being fundamentally altered by the activities of humans. I loathe the term, but I can't deny that it's appropriate."
; (Goulson), Silent Earth : Averting the Insect Apocalypse (2021; p 47.)
;
"It is sometimes said that humanity is at war with nature, but the word 'war' implies a two-way conflict. Our chemical onslaught on nature is more akin to genocide. It is small wonder that our wildlife is in decline."
; (Goulson, 2021 ; 118.)
;
----------------
"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." (Voltaire)
- Citated from; (Joy, Melanie), Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows : An Introduction to Carnism(2010; p. 95.)
;

"In the presence of the monster, you have eyes and ears for nothing else."
; (Flora Tristan) : London Journal of Flora Tristan: the Aristocracy and the Working Class of England ; 1842-edit. (tr: 1982. ; p. 71.)

;
"Every minority invokes justice, and justice is liberty.
A party can be judged of only by the doctrine which
it professes when it is the strongest."
Mdme de Staêl
(on) 'Consideration sur le Révolution de la Francaise' [1818]


5/2/12

From Diary Pages of the Part-Time Vegetarian (Part I)



”The Soul gets the better of the body,
after wasting illness or when a vegetable diet
may have mingled too much ether in the blood.
Vapors then rise up to the brain
and take the shapes that often image falsehood,
but sometimes truth.”
- The Blithedale Romance by Nathaniel Hawthorne (1852)



Was briefly referred on our earlier post, that I was planning some vegetarian diet. Now that I've been (mostly) on veggies for some Months, I'll here makes some series of (short) commentaries from experiences and feelings arised from that.  (You might notice that I'm not following any too strickt vegetarian order, fx I'm eating fish, eggs and milk-products by somewhat. Actually I've only decided to exclude – almost completely – the poultry and meats of my dietary choices. Also due because I was in the Spring exercising relative much, I've not tried to keep this 'experiment' at too absolute. But so far I've actually kept stricktly on this partial vegetarism.)



My motives  to try this kind of diets were mostly ideological, intentional avoidance of the unhealthy foods and - as much as that is possible - avoid the (so called) factorized foods of that 'meat-chain'. Also this was practical choice; Veggies make easy preparable (and cheap) choices as foods. Principal reasons maybe also from the ecological motives, but then this is also a philosophical experiment; 'To eat better is to lead a better life', to loan a most compact and simple statement on this (a phrase, So to say...) However, I've not intentions of complete changing to vegetarianism – even considering the formerly discussed points-of-views of domesticated animals and foods production (I guess I'm just not that motivated, So to say...) But it doesn't seem too unthinkable to limit my consumption of red meats et similar for a period of time. I didn't eat those too much even earlier, but I've not before much tried any vegan diets either.
(Also, it's perhaps noticeable that for anyone like me, living in the developed societies, this is rather easily maintained diets; Significance of it arises just from the fact that we don't have any actual lack of foods here. Wouldn't consider anything like this at the different circumstances. So, this also has ethical motive.)



At this and some later posts I – sort of – try representing some impressions about my physical and mental impressions in during this 'diet' (I plan it to last until the  Autumn.) Brief observations based on this dietary experiment; the feelings, dislikes, or whatever...
Sort of putting at the practice some bad old methods of the behavioral sciences (past 'sect' on the psychology, et similar...), but – instead of observing some guinea pigs – turning that careful scientific watching eye for to observe myself. As you can see, actually this makes just some plain science. (When with the term science is meant solely some empirical methods and results of the lab tests, mostly). However, I'm going on this experiment without laying the consequences  for anyone else's carrying...As for some difference of the favored practice here at the MSW.



...Now, on basis of the preceding paragraph(s) you might think that I'd be considering this for some burden or obstacle, but the truth is quite contrary. Of course, the vegatarism isn't any manner exceptional or rare any more, these days. Most (sensible) people probably think that as much common place as any other habits or everyday choices people do make. Nowadays it's possible, at least on many places/restaurants,  to choose from the vegetarian alternative and also appears (almost) as regular phenomenom like some typical hobbies, (fx jogging, snobbing, diving) – So to say.
Then; On the other hand there's often those everlasting discussions about the pros and cons of veganism (versus meat-rich diets). ...And that claimed necessity or unnecessity of the regular consumption of animal proteins (on human diets). So: If just find the following some bore of the same, part of that never-ending discussion, you can simply bypass these rhetoric questions that I'm asking here from myself at the following. (You can bet your shirt that I'm not trying to claim myself having any neutral opinion about this; You can actually decide from that by yourself on basis our former writings of the foods, meats, etc...)



In during this (partly) vegarian diet, have I felt any weakness or lack of strenght, since I having left the meats out of my foods?

No, not at all. More like I've felt feeling better and healthier of physical condition. Have felt – So to say – more from that 'Lightness of being' (to loan a phrase from name of that popular book by  Milan Kundera. This lightness hasn't felt any manner unbearable, however.) Generally, it feels to me also that eating (somewhat) lighter makes you feel also more optimistic, or smtgh like that...



Have I felt some eagerness to have some meat; Or have I felt any continuous hunger or need to have some meat to chew?


Answer to this also no, not at all. Actually, I've felt very increased dislike towards any meats. I'd say, that on begins of this I was perhaps a bit concerned if was I eating enough, especially from the proteins part, etc. Yet, soon after my body seems been accustomed to this (partial) vegetarism and now I feel no taste for any red meats at all. Of course, like you might be reminded, I've maintained quite much comparables on my diet (fish, schrimps, soya, ...). ...But, I think that the argument from that (claimed) desperate need for animal meat is just a false propaganda of the foods and slaughterhouses industries...So to say. Simply crap. (Some H*******t, so to say.).


And, have I felt any aches or pains on my body parts during this experiment of mine?


Oddly, this is the only question for which the answer is yes (at least slightly). Reasons why are not quite clear to me. Possibly, it may be due from that I've certainly exercised lot more in during the Spring-time than I would in the Summers, so it's maybe just some little aches on my old bones from that...And, I've come to a conclusion that it's at least sensible avoid too heavy exercise at this kind of diet. It hasn't prevented me from going on my regular joggings and skiing (...but everyone possibly has one's own best suitable amounts of the physical stress, found by trial and error, so to say.)  But, if you continuously do some heavier physical task/works I wouldn't propably recommend from complete abstainment of the animal foods part.
...But I guess, I'll have to let the time show if this latter rhetoric question has any relation for my vegetable diets. 


...Partly related to aspects on above paragraphs (perhaps) is the issue from necessity of milk-products on human diets. However,  it can't be blamed of these (little) 'pains and aches' on my case, for so far I've also consumed milk quite regularly - About  acc. the adviced amounts by Health Department (or whatever the name of the official...), couple glasses a day at least (and/or cheese and yoghurt). ...Finally, whatever might be the truth about that Osteoporosis, mentioned for an increased disease on Western societies, fx Saffran Foer on that book of his seems say that there's actually most osteoporosis at countries of world where people eat most milk-products. But I've not any clear opinion or view from that...


All things said for this time, but this seem leave not any place for food favorites  on this part. So, I'll just mention having 'traded' those meat products for to eat (ao foods) quite much of the seeds and nuts (all kinds of.) Also, during summers I plan to eat more berries and fruits, along w. other vegetarian food.  
- A good morning/evening 'snack' I did find from some mag: Pour together some Sunflower seeds, Peanut-/Cashew-Nuts, Flax seeds, Sesame seeds, and crush them together. Then mix that to some Soya-yoghurt and enjoy for breakfast. (There's nowadays lot of these soya-products on sales at the market. Some I've noticed quite eatable, some are just simply awful acc. my tastes. If not following an exclusive vegarian diet, it's not necessary use soya on this and that can be replaced for some natural yoghurt, if wish.)

(END OF DIARY PAGE ONE.)

No comments: